Certificate of Assumed Name – DBA – for Yates County
Any person or persons intending to start a business in New York State must first file a certificate of assumed name, commonly referred to as a DBA certificate, with the County Clerk's Office where the business is located.
The County Clerk's Office will search the records to determine if requested name is already in use.
There are two types of forms, individual and partnership. These forms can be obtained at stationery stores, the Yates County Clerk's Office, or by clicking the links below. All individuals or partners must have their signature(s) acknowledged before a notary. The Yates County Clerk's Office can provide this service.
- File Certificate: $25
- Form Fee: $1
- First Copy: No Fee
- Certified Copy: $5
- Discontinuance: No Fee
To Discontinue a Business
A Certificate of Discontinuance (PDF) must be filed with the County Clerk. This form is also available at the Yates County Clerk's Office.
- For assistance in Yates County with starting a new business, contact SCORE at 315-536-3111
- For New York State Sales Tax I.D. Number, call 800-462-8100
- For Federal Tax information and to download forms by computer, visit the IRS website or call the following phone numbers:
- Forms and Publications: 800-829-3676
- Tax Assistance: 800-829-1040
- Hearing Impaired: 800-829-4059