The County Clerk’s Office does not issue original application packets for pistol permits. However, after approval by the Judge, the County Clerk’s Office issues the original license and processes subsequent amendments to such license. Please note: No pistol permit paperwork will be accepted after 4 p.m. except by appointment
- New York State Firearms License Request for Public Records Exemption form (PDF)
- Information regarding the New York State SAFE Act
Where to Obtain Original Applications
If applicant resides within the Village of Penn Yan
Penn Yan Police Department
111 Elm Street
Penn Yan, NY 14527
If applicant resides outside the Village of Penn Yan
Yates County Sheriff’s Office
227 Main Street
Penn Yan, NY 14527
Requirements to Obtain Permit
- Resident of Yates County for one (1) year.
- 21 years of age, unless applicant is honorably discharged from the United States army, navy, marine corps, air force, or the national guard of the State of New York, no age restriction shall apply.
- Fee upon submission of application to issuing agency: $99
- At the time license is issued by the Yates County Clerk’s Office: $10
- Plastic card amendments: $8
- Paper permit amendments: $3
- Character references must be by persons who have lived in Yates County for at least one (1) year and have known the applicant for at least one (1) year.
- Fingerprinting - appointments can be made by calling Child & Family Resources, Inc. at (315) 536-1134
- Four (4) photos are required and must be submitted with application. Available at the Yates County Clerk’s office for a fee of $10
- Application process can take three to four months
- County Clerk’s Office will notify applicant when application has been accepted.
- Address changes must be made within thirty (30) days of moving
- There is no expiration date on New York State pistol licenses
- License must be surrendered when moving out of state