Yates County / Broadband / USDA ReConnect Project
ReConnect 1 Project Highlights:
- The Yates County ReConnect Project is funded by a USDA/RUS ReConnect Grant for construction of a gigabit capable fiber optic broadband network to reach unserved and underserved premises in our County.
- Rural Utility Service (RUS) is an agency within the USDA that provides much-needed infrastructure or infrastructure improvements to rural communities.
- In March 2020, Yates County was awarded the Grant in Round One of the program. Yates County was the first municipality in NYS and one of the first in the nation to receive funding in this first round of the RUS ReConnect Grants. The $14M project includes the RUS grant monies and a required 25% match from Yates County ($3,489,125).
PFSA's (Proposed Funded Service Areas)
- The Proposed Funded Service Area (PFSA) of the Project are the areas that were approved by RUS for build-out using the Grant monies. See the map below of the current PFSA's (pink shaded areas). You can zoom in/out to see more detail.
- There are very specific RUS definitions of what premises can and cannot be included.
- Unserved / underserved is defined as <10Mbps download and <1Mbps upload.
- It cannot be in an area that previously received Grant monies (state or federal).
- 90% of the premises in the area must be unserved/underserved to be included.
- It is estimated that there are 1635 premises within the PFSA's.
ReConnect 1 Project Phases
Follow this link to get answers to many of your questions about the ReConnect project. Frequently Asked Questions
With the current focus on broadband, the State of New York has kicked off an ambitious project to gather data regarding broadband availability. Read on...
Behind the scenes, the County’s Broadband Committee has been working away diligently and have brought two major contracts to the Legislature for review and approval. Additional Info...
Yates County was recently awarded a USDA/RUS ReConnect Grant for construction of a gigabit capable fiber optic broadband network to reach unserved/underserved premises in our County. Read on...
REPORTS to Finance Committee: (previous 3 months included)
If you have a general question about the County's current ReConnect project or future projects, contact Marian Walrath, Grant Specialist, at 315-531-3213 or [email protected] or Jeff Ayers, County Planner, at 315-536-5543 or [email protected].
For questions about surveyors in the field contact the NYES Resident Engineer at 315-536-5111.
Here's a link where you can check availability of service and submit a sign up request https://www.empireaccess.com/where-we-are/check-location or contact Empire Access at 800-338-3300. The Yates County ReConnect areas are shaded in yellow to represent future expansion.