Yates County / USDA ReConnect Project
- The Yates County ReConnect Project is funded by a USDA/RUS ReConnect Grant for construction of a gigabit capable fiber optic broadband network to reach unserved/underserved premises in our County.
- Rural Utility Service (RUS) is an agency within the USDA that provides much-needed infrastructure or infrastructure improvements to rural communities.
- In March 2020, Yates County was awarded the Grant. Yates County was the first municipality in NYS and one of the first in the nation to receive funding in this first round of the RUS ReConnect Grants. The $14M project includes the RUS grant monies and a required 25% match from Yates County ($3,489,125).
PFSA's (Proposed Funded Service Areas)
- The Proposed Funded Service Area (PFSA) of the Project are the areas that were approved by RUS for build-out using the Grant monies. See the map below of the current PFSA's. You can zoom in/out to see more detail. The second map - ReConnect Address Points - has a point on each parcel / address within the PFSA's. Note: the Address Point map includes most but NOT all addresses/parcels (work in progress).
- There are very specific RUS definitions of what premises can and cannot be included.
- Unserved / underserved is defined as <10Mbps download and <1Mbps upload.
- It cannot be in an area that previously received Grant monies (state or federal).
- 90% of the premises in the area must be unserved/underserved to be included.
- It is estimated that there are 1635 premises within the PFSA's. (See maps below - USDA ReConnect Awarded Areas and ReConnect Address Points).
Follow this link to get answers to many of your questions about the ReConnect project. /DocumentCenter/View/4735
Behind the scenes, the County’s Broadband Committee has been working away diligently and have brought two major contracts to the Legislature for review and approval. Additional Info...
Yates County was recently awarded a USDA/RUS ReConnect Grant for construction of a gigabit capable fiber optic broadband network to reach unserved/underserved premises in our County. Read on...
REPORTS to Finance Committee:
If you have a general question about the County's current ReConnect project or future projects, contact Dan Long at 315-536-5543 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Marian Walrath at 315-531-3213 or email@example.com.. For questions about surveyors in the field contact the NYES Resident Engineer at 315-536-5111. For questions about signing up for service to your premise contact Empire Access at 800-338-3300 or www.empireaccess.com.