Yates County / USDA ReConnect Project
- The Yates County ReConnect Project is funded by a USDA/RUS ReConnect Grant for construction of a gigabit capable fiber optic broadband network to reach unserved/underserved premises in our County.
- Rural Utility Service (RUS) is an agency within the USDA that provides much-needed infrastructure or infrastructure improvements to rural communities.
- In March 2020, Yates County was awarded the Grant. Yates County was the first municipality in NYS and one of the first in the nation to receive funding in this first round of the RUS ReConnect Grants. The $14M project includes the RUS grant monies and a required 25% match from Yates County ($3,489,125).
PFSA's (Proposed Funded Service Areas)
- The Proposed Funded Service Area (PFSA) of the Project are the areas that were approved by RUS for build-out using the Grant monies. See the map below of the current PFSA's. You can zoom in/out to see more detail. The second map - ReConnect Address Points - has a point on each parcel / address within the PFSA's. Note: the Address Point map includes most but NOT all addresses/parcels (work in progress).
- There are very specific RUS definitions of what premises can and cannot be included.
- Unserved / underserved is defined as <10Mbps download and <1Mbps upload.
- It cannot be in an area that previously received Grant monies (state or federal).
- 90% of the premises in the area must be unserved/underserved to be included.
- It is estimated that there are 1635 premises within the PFSA's.
Yates County was recently awarded a USDA/RUS ReConnect Grant for construction of a gigabit capable fiber optic broadband network to reach unserved/underserved premises in our County. Read on...
REPORTS to Finance Committee: