Many homes built before 1978 may contain lead paint on both interior and exterior walls. When lead paint gets old, it starts to peel or come off in pieces. Lead drops into dust from walls and the continual rubbing of doors and windows when opened and closed. Since young children often spend time on the floor or outside playing on the ground, they are vulnerable to Lead exposure. Leaded paint chips are attractive to young children because Lead tastes sweet. Little hands are busy with hand-to-mouth habits, so Lead in chips or dust enter the body and blood stream causing harm. Other surfaces gather Lead dust, including toys. All surfaces in homes need to be wet cleaned to remove any Lead residue.
Who can be harmed by Lead? - Everyone
Where is the Lead Poisoning coming from? - Homes, play areas, or worksites
Who is most at risk for Lead Poisoning? - Babies and young children. Older children, pregnant women, and their unborn babies, and other adults who are exposed to sources of Lead can also be seriously harmed.
What does lead do to the body? - Lead causes damage to brain development, internal organs, bones, blood, and developing babies; eventually affecting intellect, behavior & impulse control, and bodily functions. Effects of Lead poisoning are irreversible, lasting a lifetime and causing unnecessary harm.
The good news is, Lead Poisoning is preventable!
What can you do to prevent harmful damage from Lead Poisoning?
- Get babies their routine blood Lead test at ages 1 and 2 years.
- If you suspect Lead in the home, get older children tested.
- I you believe you have been exposed to Lead at work, get tested.
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, dairy, and protein to absorb Calcium, Iron, and Vitamin C, which help block the absorption of Lead in the body.
- Wash hands and faces frequently during the day and before bedtime.
- Wet clean dust away from surfaces in the home and learn how to renovate in a Lead-safe way.
Where do you go for lead testing an more info?
- Contact your family doctor or Yates County Public Health at 315-536-5160.
- For adults who are concerned about on the job poisoning questions, call Finger Lakes Occupational Health Services at 585-244-4771.
To Learn more about Lead Poisoning, read on: