National Public Health Week
Wednesday - As we well know, the benefits of living in the Finger Lakes region are numerous. Yates County is considered to be a Rural Community, but that certainly does not mean we are disconnected from stimulating, intellectual, and cultural activities that everyone elsewhere enjoys. We can have them at our "finger tips".
However, in some areas we may struggle to have:
* Adequate local forms of advanced health care and supportive services that could partially be prevented through telemedicine and school-based centers
* Address issues of social isolation for some members of our community who are living in poverty. Possible solutions could include expansion of our transit service
* Address issues surrounding substance use by providing caring services that meet people where they are and assuring them they can be cared for nearby
* Provide hope to those who struggle with hopelessness
* Use innovative ideas to train and employ people for jobs they enjoy and will continue to flourish in for years to come
* Raise awareness of the availability of health insurance that all can accept and afford
Rural does not have to be viewed by some as a "deficit". We can shine in our own environment.