Yates County Police Reform Initiative - January 19th, 2021 - YouTube
Yates County Police Reform Initiative - January 27th, 2021 - YouTube
Yates County Law Enforcement Collaborative Report and Plan - February 26th, 2021 (PDF)
If you wish to comment on this DRAFT Plan, please send to:
Connie Hayes, Clerk of the Yates County Legislature via:
· Email – [email protected], or
· U. S. Mail or delivery service – 417 Liberty Street, Penn Yan, NY 14527, or
· Telephone – 315-536-5150.
Comments must be in Connie’s possession by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 11. Comments will be collected, reviewed and incorporated into the final draft, as appropriate.
Governor Cuomo issued an Executive Order this past summer mandating an evaluation of policing within Yates County. The presentation was held by Sheriff Ron Spike.
Governor Cuomo’s Executive Order, as a part of the state’s criminal justice reform, directs municipalities to review their community needs and evaluate law enforcement’s current policies and practices in order to:
- Foster trust, fairness, and legitimacy
- Address bias and any disproportionate policing of communities of color
- Examine the use of force and officers’ conduct
- Review and evaluate policies and police services currently being provided by the agency
The Yates County Legislature must certify reform compliance or a plan on or before April 1st, or risk the loss of state aid.