Flu season has officially begun in Yates County. We have seen a dramatic increase in the number of influenza cases reported in the last 2 weeks. Provider offices are reporting a lot of influenza-like illness and GI illness. There are steps you can take to protect your family from the germs that are circulating this winter.
Here are some tips for keeping your family healthy this flu season:
* Get your flu shot. Everyone 6 months of age or older should get a flu shot. Flu season can last into May or early June. It is not too late to get a flu shot for this season.
* Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, and help young children to do the same.
*Wash your hands before and after preparing and eating food.
* Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that people touch often.
* Avoid close contact, such as kissing and sharing cups or eating utensils with people who are sick.
* Stay home when sick.
* Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or the bend of your arm.
For more information on how to tell the difference between a cold and the flu, and how to know when to seek medical attention; read on: