How do I apply for a pistol permit, and where do I go?

You must first make application with you local law enforcement agency. Residents living in the Village of Penn Yan must obtain an application at the Penn Yan Police Department. You may contact them for their hours of availability. All other Yates County residents must get an application at the Yates County Sheriff’s Office or by downloading the following:

These are available in person during normal daytime business hours at the Records Division. Currently there is no charge for this paperwork. Generally, a person must be 21 years of age to apply. Any amendments to an existing pistol permit must be made through the Yates County Clerk’s Office.

Show All Answers

1. What is the difference between bail, bonds and fines?
2. Can I pay bail, bonds and fines at the jail and, if so, how do I do it?
3. Where can I get information on boating and snowmobile safety and courses?
4. Where can I get a child safety seat, or information about proper installation?
5. Who should I notify if I want to burn something?
6. Can I have my fingerprints taken for a pistol permit, adoption or similar application?
7. What is Freedom of Information Law and how can I get information about Sheriff's Office records?
8. Does the Sheriffs Office do property checks?
9. How do I apply for a pistol permit, and where do I go?
10. How can I get current information for local road conditions during storms?
11. How can I learn about the sex offender laws, and about sex offenders living in Yates County?
12. How do I formally recognize or make a complaint concerning an employee of the Sheriff's Office?